Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Friday, May 28, 2010

Pic's around the homestead

Since I got my new camera I can get back into taking pic's of our new place. It will be nice to see before and after, even tho there's hardly any after because things keep changing , moving around. A work in progress always. I enjoy the growing part.

First there's the creek, boy is it ever changing. When we had all the rains it was roll'n. Temps to toss in a canoe and ride to the ocean. But I just sat back, watched and listen to the great sound. Most the times it's just a free flowing creek that I can see little fish try'n to get back up stream. Water flowing over a bed of little clean rocks. Might try my hand at panning for gold. A bridge will be needed to get across. Plans on a wooden one so we can make paths in the woods and build that little log cabin (Outpost).



Here's where hubby and I have our coffee and just sit and listen and watch the hummers and other birds. When MOM and Sis come over we have dinners out here on the deck. Mom always grabs one of those rockers.



Here's one of the new gardens taken earlier, things are really growing now that the rain is over and sun shin'n. I have two other gardens that are getting full of tomatoes. I have them growing away from the walnuts and oaks.
I need to get mulch for my plants and work on the paths so I can get in when it does rain again. I use lots of straw.

When we first moved here I just had to grow something so I used a couple of tires left here from SIL for a quick garden. I still have thoughts about growing food in tires. A few organic gardeners say its ok as long as there's no wires hanging out, clean them up good and they are fine. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I'll be sharing new plants and this one Acanthus Spinosus is really new to me. I'll have to see if it has a common name. Do you know this plant? It seems to like it out here in the woods. I'm starting a perennial garden and wildflower gardens as well.


Sis and I are heading into town/city today to meet with clients. Plans for a stay at home weekend and plant , BBQ and just relax, maybe a game of Washers.

Have a safe fun weekend.
Many Blessings, linda

2 comments:

  1. Tires are simple open ended containers and why not use them in the garden? I have for over 40 years and had the soil tested at the start to make sure all was well. And it was then and is now that I use over 100 of them round the homestead for growing in, plus old wringer type washing machine tubs too. All of them would of wound up in a landfill had I not of grabbed them to use. I've had a lot of food grown in them over the years. Food for the storehouse and for...in case of.
    backwaterjon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember my great aunts planting petunias in tires in the yard.She also had them hanging from the porch.LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...