Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Plant Camp Monday's

Every Autumn I head out to the trails to check out the pessimism's, not to eat alto you sure can but to see what our winter is going to be like. It never fails so far!


I take the slippery seed out and cut open, there inside will be little white things in the shape of a fork, spoon or knife.

There meaning or prediction would be if there's a spoon you will be shoveling snow, a knife will be a cold icy winter and wind that will cut you like a knife and the fork will indicate a mild winter.


Heres a pic of the tree and a open persimmon seed from a couple of yrs ago. You see the little shovel, we had snow that year. Last year was a shovel too. I have not checked yet but very soon and see what type of winter we will have. I hope a shovel again : )






Have you ever ate an unripe persimmon, ohhhhhh its awful your mouth puckers up and feels really dry. Not good. But when they are ripe they are so sweet and yummy.

We used to wait tell a frost but they say you can eat before. Just look at the fruit and make sure its very soft, give it a taste and check those seeds. The seed is rather hard to open so take care when cutting open.


Heres a picture link of persimmons .


http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS312US313&q=persimmon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=oraWTNbSN5DungeJwNC2CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEQQsAQwAw

There are different types of persimmons but the ones we have around here are the Common Persimmon , Diospyros virginiana

Like the tomato, it is not considered a "common berry", but is in fact a "true berry" by definition according to some research I found.


Theres even a song we use to sing as kids about a possum up a simmon tree. I'm trying to remember the words.

Heres another interesting link about persimmons.


http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/divi.html

So when out in the woods and on the trails take along a bag because you might come across a persimmon tree that you can eat the fruit and find out what your winter will be like.


Thanks for joining in this weeks plant camp. Have a great week : )

tc linda

3 comments:

  1. That's really interesting. Let us know when you open the fruit what kind of winter you are in store for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother loved to eat persimmons. She would let them ripen on the window sill and then eat them with a spoon. I never liked the feel of them in my mouth, but I love the picture of them in my mind. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love perimmons when they are very very ripe. I have been impatient in the past and eaten them to soon, big mistake.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...