Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, August 22, 2010

Plant Camp Monday's

This plant I have growing , its names sounds like an ol song Joe-Pye, maybe b/c its reminds me of ol Joe Clark that I use to play on the banjo and fiddle. There should be and ol Joe-Pye song for sure.

Oh boy is this a plant to have. great for the butterfly gardens but its a biggy, from 4 ft to 10 ft tall on some varieties. A deffinite boarder plant. I know already i will need to move my one plant.

Joe-Pye Weed, Eupatorium purpureum

This picture is of my new plant , not very showy yet



Here's a link to some pretty Jo-Pye Weeds

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS312US313&q=joe+pye+weed&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=f-RxTMipOMWqlAfjmemmDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDwQsAQwAw


In your butterfly garden this plant will attract the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Great Spangled Fritillary, Pearl Crescent, Monarch, and the Tawny-edged Skipper.

Joe-Pye Weed is an herb, a wildflower, a butterfly plant and an ornamental for the flower beds
Its got some other common names you might know like Queen of the Meadow, gravel root, kidney root, mist-flower, snakeroot and purple boneset.

Joe Pye is the name of an Native American who was a herbalist who used the herb to cure fevers.

http://www.altnature.com/gallery/joe_pye_weed.htm

You can start from seeds and this is another great Winter Sowing seed you can start the first of the year, get those containers saved , toss in your seeds and put outdoors.

Joe-Pye Weed comes in colors of darker purples, wine, lavender and white. The purple shades seem to attract butterflies better than the white. Oh it looks like I got a white one.

Some of theflowers are more fragrant then others having a vanilla-like fragrance. These plants make nice cut flowers and can be dried too for arrangements. A nice all around plant to grow in your gardens.

Well that's it for the camp this week. I was humming ol Joe Clark while typing this up. Might get out the fiddle and start playing again. Maybe make up a song for ol Joe-Pye Weed.

Have a very nice week and always thanks for stopping by the camp.

tc linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...