Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Monday, August 19, 2013

Plant Camp Monday's

Amaranth Amaranthus cruentus
Hopi Red Dye






I didn't plant any of the Amaranth in my garden this year, it came up on its own.  I just let it grow where it wanted to.  Its so very pretty. 

Amaranth leaves when young can be used, the bright fuscia pink is great to add to your fresh salads.
Matures leaves turn to a deep red and the stunning flowers have nutritious black seeds.  The Hopi use these seeds to make their famous red corn breads. 

I have not tried the seeds but would be fun to do. I love cornbread.  Would make a nice Autumn color to go along with meals.

Here's a bit more on the plant, hope you have this in your garden Amaranth Hopi Red Dye


Thanks for stopping by the camp, have a great week
linda

2 comments:

  1. That's really a beautiful red, wonder if you could dye yarn or fabric with it? Paint maybe... Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Capt, good to see ya. Thank you, I was away from it for a long time with downed PC. I need to do more, so much to do these days : ). Yes you can dye yarn and I would think just about anything. My DD will try it on wool from her sheep. Paint would be cool to try. I will do that and let you know, maybe do a watercolor : ). See ya on Ipernity

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...