Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, July 18, 2010

Plant Camp Monday's

Did you guess the Christmas in July plant? Its a Christmas tradition! Yep its the Poinsettia.

I have it growing in my garden. DH always gets me a couple of Poinsettias from school that kids grow in Ag. and sell. The plants seem to do well for me during the holidays. But after that I just watch as each leaf falls off before I toss them out.

They usually last into the early spring but this year it would not die so I went ahead and planted by the garden. Its going to be a test plant to see if I can actually have it ready for Christmas this year.

Its just green now and I'll have to bring in before frost this fall.



Poinsettia, Euphorbia pulcherrima. The species is native to Mexico

Did you know there is a common misconception that the poinsettia is highly toxic. Not so, but it could upset stomach and sap can cause temporary eye problems if you get on your eyes : ( that's enough there to make me cautious of the plant.

Even though the plant is not very toxic, people who are sensitive to latex may suffer an allergic reaction and maybe should not bring the plants into the home. There goes Christmas tradition. Fortunately we are not allergic to latex.

The poinsettia can be difficult plant to reflower after the the first big show. The plant needs a period of uninterrupted long, dark nights for around two months in fall in order to develop flowers. I heard of putting the plants in the closet for a time.

The colors come from photoperiodism, this means it requires darkness for 12 hours at a time to change color. At the same time, the plants needs a lot of light during the day for the brightest color. This is really going to be a pain. Now I know why I see poinsettia's along curb sides , nobody wants to mess with em.

But I'm going to give it a try just the same.

Here's some more interesting Poinsettia facts.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/poinsettia/facts.cfm

Even though a Christmas type plant its helping me think cool and snow on these hot muggy days of summer.

Happy Christmas in July

tc linda






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...