Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Plant Camp Monday's

This week lets get Daylily Crazy. I just love Daylilies . For many years I just grew the orange ones, you know the ones that you see everywhere even along ditches. I would see others with beautiful displays of these beauties with so many colors. Maybe its about timing but I'm finally in the world of Day lilies .

Did you know you can eat daylilies (Hemerocallis fulva) from the flower to the roots? I tried an orange one in a salad it not only was pretty on the plate but tasty too. I'm going to give them a try in stir fry. Here's more info

http://www.ehow.com/how_4466550_eat-daylily-hemerocallis-fulva.html

I know I was starting this Plant Camp with my plants on the homestead but I just got to share some pic's from our botanical gardens that we live close by. I took pic's last week . They did have a plant sale so I got some plants and hope next season I will have lots of daylilies to show you.

The first group is taken at Powell Gardens and I'm sorry I don't have names for them , so if you know some of them or have these jump right in and tell us : ). Next time I visit I'll take a notebook with me and get those names.

Pictures are taken with a cheapo digi, so even tho pretty nice it still doesn't do the flower justice.

























Now this group are the ones I'm growing and I can't wait tell they start to expand.





El Desperado





Fooled Me


Stella De Oro


?


?





?


This is a Lily growing over at our old homestead, plan to get it started over in my new lily gardens



I do have these added and won't see a flower until next year I hope : )


Dixie Flamingo

Chicago Royal

Missouri Moon

Peach Horizon

Atlanta Rufflelette

Ruby Throat - I bought this one blooming


This is just a drop in the bucket to many beautiful Daylilies. A flower that last one day, so glad they grow many in groups and you have a nice showing for the early summer.


If you have some Daylily pictures on your blog pages please leave a link so we can go over and go Daylily crazy : )


Thanks for dropping by at the Plant Camp. Next week will be something strange growing in the garden this time of year. I'll give you a hint "Christmas In July" can guess what plant will be featured at the camp next week?


Have a great week

tc linda



1 comment:

  1. I love day lillies and have several growing in my yard with plans of adding more. They fill up an area very nicely. The day lilies will flower for you next year. I planted some of mine in spring and they flowered the same year. I didn't know they were edible...I will try them.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...