Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Monday, August 12, 2013

Plant Camp Monday's

Partridge Pea  Chamaecrista fasciculata




A new discovery on the homestead is Partridge Pea. I'm sure it was always here but I just took notice and seen a couple of plants.

Its a pretty little wildflower plant that gets about 2 ft tall.  The leaves look like ferns.  Fruit is a short bean like pod.  Not sure if this plant is edible.

The quail and many other birds do like the seeds.  Partridge Pea is seen along roadside around early fall. 

The leaflets will fold up when touched.  I cut a few for a bouquet but it did not do well, and probably because of the sensitive flowers.  Best to let grow wild and have your bouquets outside. 

Here's a link with more info. Partridge Pea It does say that if live stock eats large quantities of this plant it can be fatal.  So maybe not a good human food.  The deer love it and does not harm them. 

So many beautiful wild flowers that get looked over and mowed down.  Getting out and really studing wildflowers make them no longer weeds to me : )

Well until next week , I'll be checking around to see what other wilds I will find.  I'll be doing veggies to, nuts and trees.  If it grows will have it on the Plant Camp.

Thanks for your visits and have a great week
linda

2 comments:

  1. I missed reading all of your nifty information on your blog! Love the photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your blogging and so glad to hear from you.
    You have a great week : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...