Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, September 12, 2010

Plant Camp Monday's

Watch your noggin when it turns Autumn and the wind is blowing.

The Carya Fruits (hickory nuts) are falling. Hurry to gather b/c the squirrels
have this in mind too.



I gathered these a year ago by our friends fishing pond, fishing wasn't good so I gathered the hickory nuts.

Here in the woods we have some early drops of hickory and I'm hoping will have some nice ones to pickup. These in the basket are very nice.

Did you know there's lots of different hickory nuts and that the pecan is a species of hickory!

Carya illinoinensis (pecan)

A pecan, is not truly a nut, but is technically a drupe, a fruit with a single stone or pit, surrounded by a husk. Like the fruit of all the members of hickory genus;

Heres a list of hickory nuts

Southern shagbark hickory
Hickory bitternut
Hickory pignut
Hickory shellbark hickory or Kingnut hickory
Red hickory
Hickory shagbark
Hickory sand
Hickory mockernut

Check this hickory site for iding

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/carya-fruits.htm

Also facts on hickories

http://www.thenutfactory.com/kitchen/facts/facts-hickory-nuts.html

Along with gathering nuts we use the wood from wind fall for our grilling, oh does it make for good smoking and BBQ's and it just smells so fallish, my favorite time of year.

So on a nice cool day head out and gather those hickory nuts, check out walnuts too : )

Thanks for dropping by the camp. I thought I'd have a blog page before this but time got away. I'll have some pics of my new Kayak and fishing adventures I think by Wednesday . Also about my sister and I the "Yak Sisters Adventures".

tc linda

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Linda. I never knew that about pecans. I have been watching the busy squirrels gathering their nuts and seeds and hiding them for the winter. Fall is on it's way around here and I am loving it.
    Blessings to you this day.
    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We grow walnuts and hazelnuts here, I guess we are too cold and wet for pecans. I have to fight the bears and crows for the nuts. I just checked my trees out back and some are starting to fall so I will be picking in the next day or two.

    Thanks Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...