Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, July 7, 2013

Plant Camp Monday's



This plant, Mullein also called Flannel Plant- Verbascum thapsus  grows all around the homestead.  It gets pretty tall, the leaves are velvet soft and the flowers our pretty, butterfly's like them too so I let them stay.

An extract  against respiratory problems was used by Native Americans and settlers. They also also smoked the leaves.    Was even used for diapers b/c of the super softness of the leaves.   It can be used today on walks in the wild incase nature calls.  I have not tried but good to know. 

Here's a link to more info:  Mullein

Always check before you use or eat anything in the wild.  Better to be safe then sorry. Esp when it comes to mushrooms and look alike plants.   Check with your doctor always before using a medical plant. 

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th. 

Take good care
linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...