Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Monday, August 5, 2013

Plant Camp Monday's

Goat's Beard

Goat's Beard Tragopogon dubius

If you seen some super sized dandelion like white fluffs along a country road , your probably looking at Goat's Beard.  

Its gets  2 1/2 ft tall with a beautiful yellow flower.  Then when its time for it to go to seed its a whole new look like this photo, It truly is beautiful.  
I don't have this growing on the homestead yet, but saved the seeds for next season.  I may try some winter sowing on the seeds as well. 

The name dubius is Latin meaning "doubtful" because the plant was long mistaken for another species. 

More pictures of flower and some info on this wonderful weed Goat's Beard

Hope you have some growing where you live

Thanks for dropping by, have a great weeks and see ya later
linda

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo. In our neighborhood the dandelion is considered a peskey weed! They pop up and stay, and are very hard to get rid of...uncontrolable, I'd say. But they are an intriguing and beautiful pest!
    Miz Dee in Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miz Dee, how nice to have you visit my blog. Thank you. I bet you have been busy with your paintings. I want to say again they are very inspiring.

    I agree with the dandelion. You can mow them down and almost see them pop up again : ). WE use to eat the greens but have not done for a very long time. Its good to know that you got food right out the front door : ). Have a wonderful weekend, see ya on ipernity
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say you can eat the root like a potato. Haven't tried it yet.lol jam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...