Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Monday, October 25, 2010

Plant Camp Monday's

Oh a little late getting back into the Plant Camp. But I'll get it started with all the beautiful fall colors of Chrysanthemum's also called Mums.


I love these beauties and each year and I can't wait tell they are along roadside stands, garden centers and even the grocery stores saying take me home. I always plant them along the gardens after the flowers are spent and see if they will grow back next spring and most the time they do. I'll pinch back the foliage until July to make sure I'll have a little fall color in fall.


Heres some Mum's I picked up this last weekend to give the porch a warm feeling and say fall is here.












The ones I got are garden mums and here's a link to how to grow.

Chrysanthemum

Also some more Mum pictures , they are beautiful!

Mum Pictures


Chrysanthemum is from the Greek, chrysos (gold) and anthos (flower).
The Chrysanthemum flower symbolizes fidelity, optimism, joy and long life.A red chrysanthemum conveys love
A white chrysanthemum symbolizes truth and loyal love
A yellow chrysanthemum symbolizes slighted love


Heres more interesting facts,
Chrysanthemum Facts

A Bit of Interesting "Mum" History, quoted :"It was way back in the year 1798 that chrysanthemums were first introduced to North America from Europe. After the official Chrysanthemum Society of America was founded, their first exhibition of mums was held in 1902. Research shows that mums were prevalent at least 2,500 years ago, and that mum festivals are still celebrated every fall in Japan. A chrysanthemum festival highlighting the arts and culture of Japan was held at the famous Longwood Gardens near Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, in the fall of 1999. Longwood's gardeners grew and trained more than 20,000 mums inside this spectacular conservatory. During that festival, Japanese artisans demonstrated the art of making life-size dolls using the chrysanthemums grown in the Longwood conservatory. It is also notable that of more than 160 different species of mums, most of them are native to China, Japan, and Europe. "

So I hope you have a porch full of Mum's for your fall look. Its always great if the weather stays nice to carry the colors into Thanksgiving but sometimes thats pushing it. And sometime you just gotta buy that look alike that you never have to water or plant and can bring it out every year for the holiday seasons. I got a couple of fake decorations but I so love the real ones the best : )

Happy Fall at the Plant Camp

tc linda

1 comment:

  1. I love all the colors you picked. The pink ones are very pretty! I need to get some more for my house!
    I think Mums are in a pesticide. I like to watch the Billy the Exterminator. I'm pretty sure he said it’s an all natural wasp and bee pesticide that doesn’t harm the Earth. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...