Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Sunday, June 30, 2013

Plant Camp Monday's


Chicory, Cichorium intybus,  also called Blue Sailors.   Its in the Daisy family.

This wild flowers grows along our country roads.     The roots are used for coffee , altho I have never tried.   I like my Folgers : ).   But its good to know in case the coffee can gets low. 

I pick the long stem flowers here on the homestead for flower arrangements.   Altho treated like a weed its a beauty and is edible , leaves and roots can be used , flower can be eaten but is bitter.

Here's a link among many on the web about this plant.  Chicory


Hope you check it out and your sure to spot some growing in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for stopping by and see ya next Monday at the Plant Camp

take good care
linda

2 comments:

  1. Oh I like the idea of your Plant Camp. Now I get to learn about flowers. Such a pretty blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I get to learn too : ). When you have time check out the list of past Plant Camps on the right hand side column.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...