Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Tuesday, May 18, 2010



A day of sunshine :) after much rain lately. They are calling for more rain tomorrow and I did hear the tree toad. That little critter is my on target weather man. Pretty much can count on rain when you here the chirp.


I'll need to get acquainted to different nature clues to weather here in the woods, even tho we are not to far from our other homestead the woods is deeper and denser. Yesterday a crane flew right by the window here were as over at Locust Trail Homestead they would fly high. It looked so prehistoric. I'll have to ID some of these hoot owls, most are the common hoot but there's one that sounds like a monkey.

Last night I awoke by a very strange scream. I need to keep a lookout for cougar. Some yrs ago I was confronted 2 times by a beautiful cougar. I stood my ground mostly cuz I couldn't move (froze) just what your suppose to do when confronted by the big cats, Oh and act big, with arms held high. I'm just glad I didn't pass out.

Hummingbirds are licking sap from one of the oak trees or maybe picking up some ants for their young, probably both. They fly and look in the window at a bouquet of iris, and wonder why they can't get to it. There's a big bleeding heart that my dd planted and they seem to really enjoy that.

Hope to pop in some tomatoes tomorrow before the rains come again. DD and grandbaby will be coming over for a visit. She'll be working on a baby blanket for a new family member on her hubbies side.

Haven't decided on what to fix din din. I ordered an electric stove/oven. Been cooking on a two burner hot plate. It cooks but I sure like to use iron skillets and start making breads in the oven. The new stove will be in this Saturday.

At the other homestead I had a 6 burner Wolf gas stove. Won't be good here b/c we will not have propane. Just heat with wood plus electricity for appliances. My dd is very glad to have the Wolf. Its a wonderful canning stove.

Living in the trailer has not been bad at all, true I can't fix all the things I had over at our other home but I was wanting/needing to scale down a bit. Here its all about organising and keeping things that really would be used. Most important things like my recourse books, gardening,nature homesteading, magazines I had to have here. The knitting and quilting materials needed to come. I left my art studio for the girls so they could have scrapbook parties and plenty of art supplies for the grandkiddies. All I took was my watercolors for some nature painting outside.

I do have my homebase business here in one of the rooms, I make slipcovers. Its been a family business for over 58 yrs. The big shop over at the homestead will still be, teaching dd's the trade and if grandkids get involved it will be 4 generation in our family trade.

Well i'm off to read some blogs ,have a great week
CompostPyle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...