Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Thursday, January 2, 2014

A New Year



Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I'm so excited about 2014.  With lots of New Year resolutions to keep and hope not  break to many.   Mine are pretty simple so might not be hard. 

I put out some feed outside our cabin window to get some close up on the birds, This cardinal had some seed in his mouth when he seen a camera in his face.  He took off in a flash.  

 Its been a busy place on the homestead , with lots of happenings away from home and of course bringing in the wood.   Staying nice and toasty while the temp drops in the single digits.  Burrrrrrrr.

Christmas Eve was out at my sisters and BIL,  Mom is staying with them, she is 87.   Most all the grandkiddies where there and Santa aka my sister came to visit.  We skyped my son's family who could not be with us and the little one enjoyed his cousins and seeing Santa via Internet.  Was pretty cool to do.   Pizza and gag gifts and lots of fun.  Christmas day we had dinner out at sis's.   It was a great Christmas.

New Years hubby and I stayed home and watch the ball drop in New York in the comfy of our warm home.  New Years day I cooked black-eyed peas ( for a good year tradition) and spiced shrimp. 

I wanted to do something different on that cold day in the 5* F and snow in the forecast.  And hubby was game for it.  One of my resolutions this year is to do more fishing.  My sister and I are the Yak Sisters, we go fishing in our kayaks but last year we didn't even get an oar wet. NOT GOOD.  Where did the time go to go fishing.   I want to get hubby into fishing and the kayaks don't work well with this ol man.  Its about entering and getting out that was a problem.  Me too, sis and I gained some weight, it happens (also a resolution that might,ahh probably will be broken).  Well sis is worried that a game warden will give her a ticket for swimming in the lake and she will have to explain that the boat is underneath her. Not Good.  I think I know what her New Year Resolution is.   I'm good, I'm still wear'n the same size pants for years and sweat clothes are the best clothes ever.  Those are my main wardrobe.  Just keeping it simple.

Now back to New Years Day.   While I'm looking for a flat bottom fishing boat on the Internet so hubby and I can go fishing this spring, hubby says how about that boat over at the old homestead.  I had plumb forgot about it and wondering what kind of conditions it might be.   The last time I was in it was when my sister and  I did a little prank on some family friends that had put out trot lines on the pond in the woods.   We went last at night through the foggy spooky woods and launched the fishing boat.   We pulled up their lines, they didn't have any fish on it and placed vintage clothes on the hooks.   There was a go go boot, a 70's shirt and a whopper size bra that could have hauled in a big fish on its own.   We giggled the whole time with thoughts of them drag'n in the line think'n it had huge fish on it.    We only heard of their catch and they knew it was those sisters that live in the woods.  So its this very boat that has been over turned for many years and not used.

Our New Year begins with a short 10 min. trip to the homestead, camera with me to take some nature pics and driving up to the cabin there's about 5 or 6 wild turkeys hanging out under the pecan tree.  Of all time the camera says my memory card is protected, what in the world does that mean.  It worked the day before and here the turkeys are standing still for a photo opt. I could not ask for a better photo shot. Theres goes all my pics down in the woods.  The camera works the next day!   

So hubby and I check out our project.  The boat looks intact, no dents but very much stuck in the frozen dirt. And its cold 4* or 5*F. We peck out the dirt being careful not to damage this old vintage boat.   At one point i fall on my backside and my legs are all knotted together, hubby ask if I'm ok with a helping hand across the other side of the boat and I say I'm a big pretzel.  He laugh so hard that he's no help getting me out of this predicament and I'm able to undo myself pulling on a low limb over the boat.

Now as we almost got that boat undone has hubby was lifting up the back of the boat a big raccoon ran out almost under his legs, hubby jump and it was my time to laugh.   We were hoping we didn't get into a family but found a dead opossum underneath the boat.   Not sure if the raccoon was eating the carcase or just what the deal was.   But we were getting our boat.   There was in the beginning of this adventure when chipping away at the ice to give up and wait tell spring thaw after all we were not going boating on a frozen lake but we kept at it.     I hope my NY resolutions are that persistent.

We loaded the boat on the top racks of our SUV , that was hard to do to, tied down and headed back home.  On the way home there was some on lookers on the road and I told hubby how they were looking at his new(old) boat, he was so proud.  But really they probably worried the boat would fall on the road.  But hubby doesn't need to know that ; )

So far no muscle soreness yet!  Happy we got that boat which now has a cover of snow from last night.  Come spring well have a maiden launch at our public 70 acre lake, most the times we have it to ourself and no high power motor boats, 10mph is the limit.  Rowing is much quieter, but I bet hubby will want a trolling motor.  Now loading that boat is a bit much to, not as easy as a kayak so a little pickup will serve us well.  I let hubby know about this idea in the middle of the night and got a, ah, yah, ok, goodnight, Happy New Year.

I'm ready to start this new year with lots of fun projects.   Gardening is always on the top of the list with gardening.   New heirloom seed catalogs coming in the mail. And always planning for changes of the gardens and new plants to try out.  Winter sowing in containers well be starting soon.

Sis and I checked out a big garden center in town while waiting for a client to get home.   Oh how exciting to smell and see things growing in a green house in the winter time.   It gets the spring fever up and really helps with cabin fever too.

I'm going to continue back with the Plant Camp but not just on Mondays.  It gets to feel like a have to do and I fall short of that, so I want to make it more fun and winging it during the year sounds more fun and simple too. So no pressure.

I do want to thank you for your visits although I have had some hit and many missed blogging days.
Have a good one and keep it simple
linda 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...