Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Winter Snow


We got a nice snow storm yesterday so I got my old showshoes off the cabin wall for a photo shoot.   Here they are in the snow with a pair of cuffed knitted socks I started during the Super Bowl and finished yesterday.  They went fairly fast.   The pattern is in Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush collection.   Called "The Road to Oslo"   Back in the 1920's skiers would wear these types of socks, the cuff pulls over their ski boots keeping the snow out.   I think the snow would go right into your foot faster.  No matter, I always get snow in my socks and feet no matter how hard I cover them up.

I love these snowed in days in the cabin.  Woodstove  keeping us warm with single digits outdoors. Makes it fun and peaceful knitting.  Until I run out of yarn and all these beautiful things to knit.   Next time in town will be to the yarn shop.  Would it be cool to have these new drones dropping yarn off by the cabin, I might like that ; )

My next challenge will be knitting 2 socks at one time on a single circular needles.  I have had the book for some time and I think I'm going to give it another shot.   Youtube helps on some of these techniques.  I need all the help I can get.  Plans on working more on Fair Isle patterns.  Lots of great patterns to work with. 
 

Here the snowshoes are on our porch with about 10" of snow.  These old snowshoes have not touched snow for many years.  They will go back on the wall in the cabin for the winter look and lots of history they must have had.   I have had them for many years and have no history on them other then decoration but I can imagine how they must have help someone through the deep snows.  Maybe a dad bringing food for his family from a far away hunt.   Mom keeping the cabin warm and kids doing their chores.  Happy to have their family back together.   I hang that on my walls.

 Winter sowing:
Well just what the doctor ordered, snow and thats just what the winter sowing needs.  Cat does not know theres coffee cans with seeds under that snow.  Probably could care less but I'm excited.   Snow will be good and before long there will be green plants ready to plant in the gardens.   Love Winter but oh boy Spring, it will be here soon. 


 

Thanks for dropping by, have a good one
linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...