Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Walk In The Woods

Took a stroll out in our new little paths in the wooded area in front of our trailer/cabin retreat , its about an acre with lots of smaller tall trees. The deeper woods will have to wait tell fall for making paths. Some really huge trees in there. That will be where I build my outpost.

The woods and creek bed is lined in spots with my favorite wild roses.



Here the creek after the rain ,after it came down a bit. Fun to play in looking for arrowheads and pretty rocks.



We'll need to make a bridge to get over to the deeper woods , its so thick here but the paths will make it so much easier to go on those nature walks and bringing the building materials for the new Outpost. There's a tree back there that I'm sure it would take four people to wrap arms around it. I'll have to get pic's and Id it.



Its been raining off and on so had some time to take a few pic's and forage at the same time.

Bleeding Heart leaves by the front porch





Gooseberries , this area is full of them. last time I ate a gooseberry there was half a worm in it, I always check from now on.



And wonderful blackberries, hope the birds leave me some! Not very big but oh so sweet.




Always an interesting tree, limb, or big ol vine in the woods.


Some wild mushrooms too





I stick with what I'm sure of on the mushrooms for foraging and eating, but still these are fascinating to look at.

Garden news:

Well I thought I'd be eating green beans a bit sooner but they are ready to pick now. I'll check the potatoes and see if I can get a few new taters and add to the green beans. I'm going to wait tell the bean vines are dry, wet vines will make a rust on the plant if touched. So don't want rusty bushes and beans.

Sun is out , day at home, so out I go for another walk.

Take good care and many Blessings
linda



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...