Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Monday, January 6, 2014

Work'n Those Needles



Between working at home and bringing in the wood I work the knitting needles.   I love to make socks and it seems the more I knit the faster it goes, even for that second sock.  One could make a sock in a day , but I don't.  I like to do to many other things : ).  So in the evening I get those socks worked on.

First pic is two pair of tube socks that went real fast and the one on the needles will have the heel.   Here they are done in the second pic.  They are wool over the knee.  They feel so good and will be great to wear when I'm trekking in the woods and going on a ski trip soon.

I got two more pairs to show soon , just need to get the toe done on the last sock, yeah!  

I like working on the wool yarns esp in the winter time, and cottons in the warmer weather.   Last year I knitted scarves with fun yarns for the girls.  They are super fast to make.  This year its been socks.

Oh boy is it cold , in the negatives, its 3* F and sun is shinning and the snow is sparkling with all kinds of tracks from the critters.

Got the wood stove fired up and with passive solar light coming through the windows it stays rather warm in our vintage cabin.

With seed catalogs coming through the mail I got my plans for the gardens and in a couple more weeks will order and also start the winter sowing.  Bring out the mini green house that will go in our cabin and start hundreds of heirloom tomatoes and peppers from saved seeds.   Future plans for a small greenhouse but for now the little one does very well just with sun heat and produces way more then I need.  DD takes many of the plants and sell.  I have put out 500 heirloom tomatoes one time and last year I just put out a hundred, not to mention the volunteers that pop up. Every year I knock it down a hundred or so.    This season I'm going to scale down a lardge bit,  about 50 plants but I always get carried away and will pop in another plant if there's room.

I'll be ordering some new heirloom to try out, so very excited about the gardens.

Well coffee is ready and another log needs to go in the stove.   So have a good one, thanks for dropping by and keep warm and enjoy every season.  They go by way to fast.
linda 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...