Woods

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived" Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)


"Judge every day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow." - Robert Louis Stevenson


Friday, June 4, 2010

Winter Sowing Pays Off


I went over for a visit yesterday at our ol homestead to get some grandkiddy hugs and they wanted me to see the flowers that were blooming. Dragging me by the hand we went all over the place.


They were so excited about this lily that dd gave me several from a co-op a couple of yrs back.



Then we checked out other plants and flowers that are blooming. Lots of them are from the Winter Sowing" I did. Seed that I put in coffee cans drilled on the bottom for drainage, filled about 3" of soil, clear plastic w/ holes held by rubber bands on top for light and water to get in then set outside in the cold snow/ice winter. Put them out the first of January and left alone. At times I had doubt with all those containers covered in deep snow.

I had 170+ containers that year with so many plants coming up in the late winter, hundreds of plants. I was a transplanting fool that yr. And now I'm seeing beautiful plants that I will save seeds and do again this winter and start them out here at our new homestead.

Here's a plant that has always been hard for me to transplant but yet it grew well from the winter sow, Butterfly Weed



There's so many plants in the butterfly garden coming from the Winter Sow that I'm sold on that way of growing perennials. Google winter sow and you'll be amazed how many plants can be planted in the winter this way.

It must have been visiting day. I visited my youngest DD and got some lovin from our grandbaby who will be a yr old in Aug. He's growing up so very fast. Loves to move around and looks like one of those little crawling babies you wind up and let go.

I also took a trip out to my sisters and bil's homestead. Mom was there and we sat out on sis's porch and talked about all the projects that need to be done.

She has a big beautiful white lilac that is so fragrant. That's a big ol bee on this flower head along with other critters having there lunch.



Well I got my visiting fix in so back home here in the woods. Do some work in the shop and later when it cools down do some gardening. Oh and some sitting under a big oak tree with a glass of ice tea and a good gardening magazine.

Have a great weekend coming up
Blessings, linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...